Construction Journal Entry Week of 9/10/23

9/11-14/23 I went up to Camp Serendipity for four days: Monday through Thursday.

I had to stop at Costco on the way up to get my new hearing aids, so I didn't arrive until 2:00. Since it was so late, I hoisted the flag, and had my lunch before I brought my gear up. And I skipped my nap.

I made five trips up the hill with my gear using the wheelbarrow. In three of them I carried a 60-pound sack of mortar each. I brought the repaired shower curtain with me and hung it up so I could take a shower.

On Tuesday morning after doing my exercises, I went out and laid stones using up three batches of mortar. I decided to track my progress using the mortar batch count. I got a mechanical counter and hung it by the mortar sacks. I'll make it a ritual to punch the counter each time I make a batch. Eventually I should be able to correlate batches with measures like square footage or number of concrete blocks faced.

The tablet in the cabin that I have been using for my music player died today. It was old and failing and I think there's no hope for it. I'll bring it home and see if I can't get a replacement somehow.

After lunch and a nap, I laid up stones using up another batch bringing the counter to 10.

On Wednesday the morning started the same as yesterday: I did my exercises and then laid up three batches worth of stones. After lunch and a nap, I did one more batch bringing the total to 14.

Early Thursday morning while I was still in bed at 2:00 AM I woke up and the cabin was smoky. The smoke was pretty thick outside, so I closed all the windows and then went back to bed with a respirator on. I dozed off until 3:00 when I tested the air and the smoke seemed to be gone.

I got up at 5:30 and it was smoky outside but not bad in the cabin. There were airplanes flying around so there must have been a fire somewhere. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday. I need to go home today so I didn't do any rock work. I fertilized Tiger, the snake plant, and then began putting things away preparing to go home. I took a picture of the results on the wall so far, practiced the piano, took a nap, and then had my lunch. I left for home at 1:00 still enthusiastic about the stone project and sorry that this week was a day short. Hopefully there will be many more nice days before it freezes.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2023 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.