Construction Journal Entry Week of 3/3/19

3/5-7/19 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 3 days: Tuesday through Thursday.

I was still sick but feeling a little better. I called Earl and we agreed that it would be best if I skipped visiting him this week too. I arrived at Camp Serendipity at 1:08.

The temperature was 25 and there was no new snow on the ground. The driveway and parking area were nicely plowed so I drove right in and parked in 2wd. I carried my gear up in one trip without having to shovel off the staircase. I hoisted the flag, built a fire in the stove, and had my lunch and my usual nap in the loft.

When I got up, I made the bed in the bedroom which had been torn apart so I could launder the sheets. Last week I had had a nosebleed in bed, and I had taken the sheets home to clean them.

After doing some exercises, I went outside and hauled a supply of firewood up to the back porch. That was about all the useful work I got done that day.

On Wednesday morning, I felt a little bit better but still not very energetic. After breakfast, I went out on the front porch and, using a hand saw, I cut all the remaining 2x4 pieces I need to complete the loft railings.

After lunch and a nap, it started snowing lightly and it continued snowing the rest of the day and into the night. But by nightfall, only a little less than an inch had accumulated.

I split and stacked a substantial supply of firewood. Then I went up on the front porch and set up the sawhorses on a tarp and stacked all the railing 2x4s on the sawhorses in preparation for a major sanding operation.

On Thursday morning, it was still snowing and about 3 or 4 inches had accumulated over night. Ellen called and told me that it had snowed in Seattle again. She wore her Sorel boots and took a bus from home to get to work.

After breakfast, I went out on the front porch and began sanding the 2x4s. I used my brand-new respirator for the first time, and it worked great. I quit sanding after I destroyed the last piece of sandpaper I had. Sandpaper is on my shopping list for next week.

I left for home at 12:15 looking forward to shaking off whatever bug I have so I can put some enthusiasm back into the work. The roads were good all the way home and the snow in Seattle was gone by the time I got home.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2019 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.