Construction Journal Entry Week of 6/7/20

6/8-12/20 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 5 days: Monday through Friday.

I arrived at 11:15, brought my gear up, hoisted the flag, built a fire in the stove, and had my usual lunch and a nap. When I got up, I went into the woods and irrigated Andrew with 5 gallons of water. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon working on my "impossible table". I am expecting a call from the building department sometime this week to let me know how to proceed scheduling the next inspection. The table project is a good time filler while I wait for the call.

On Tuesday it rained cats and dogs all day so there was no point going into the woods to irrigate. It was fun working inside the cozy cabin on such a rainy day. I spent the morning working on the table and then had my lunch and a nap.

When I got up, I sanded all the finished parts of the table so they were ready for varnish and then glued the top and bottom of the table to their respective vertical members using mortise/tenon joints.

On Wednesday morning, I varnished the first two coats on the table and irrigated Andrew in between. After lunch and a nap, I called a small appliance repair company to make sure they were open for business. I planned to take the dining room heater in for repair on my way home on Friday.

I applied the last coat of varnish on the table and then turned my attention to starting some sort of art project now that the table was almost done. I brought a lot of art supplies up to the cabin and I was currently taking an art course on DVD so I think I just might be inspired to work on something one of these days.

On Thursday I finished the assembly of the table which involved stringing several monofilament fishing lines between the two halves of the table. This was tricky and tedious, but I finished it, and took some pictures of it, before I had my lunch.

Then, before I took my nap, I drove to the Ranger Station, where I can get Internet service on my cellphone, and emailed pictures of the table.

After my nap, I uninstalled the dining room heater, put it in a big garbage bag, and carried it down to the truck and loaded it into the back seat. I was glad there was a clear interlude between rainstorms when I did it.

Next, I used up two battery charges in the Sawzall and cut up a log and a few smaller poles for firewood.

On Friday morning it rained cats and dogs again. I was glad the heater was safely in the truck. I spent the morning cleaning up the considerable mess in the loft left over from the railing work and from the table work. I put away all the tools and scrap wood, and then cleaned up the chip mess. Then I vacuumed the entire loft and the staircase. It should stay clean from now on. I left for home at 12:45 and delivered the heater to Action Small Appliance in Redmond on the way. It was another good and fun week. Too bad I didn't hear from the Building Dept. though.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2020 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.