Construction Journal Entry Week of 3/14/21

3/15-19/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 5 days: Monday through Friday.

Today, March 15, was the 30th anniversary of the closing of the deal to buy the property at Camp Serendipity. It has been a great 30 years. When I arrived at noon, it was sunny outside and warm in the cabin, so I didn't build a fire. I brought my gear up in three trips, hoisted the flag, had my lunch and a nap, and then installed new Venetian blinds in the bedroom. I took a picture of them.

On Tuesday after having my breakfast and practicing the piano, I installed all 22 casing legs. Then I went outside and checked on Paul, the giant sequoia tree. It was free of snow, but it was bent over. I straightened it up and propped it up so it will dry out and reach up to the sun.

After having my lunch and a nap, I decided that the 1x6s were too wide to use for casing headers. I decided to buy more 1x4s and use them instead. I can use the 1x6s in the bedroom closet. I spent the rest of the afternoon writing.

On Wednesday I started out by patching a nail hole in one of the casing legs. When I installed it, one of the nails evidently hit a drywall screw dead center. I had tried to drive the nail all the way in but I'm pretty sure all I did was drive that screw through the drywall and up against the stud. At that point it stopped completely, and I was unable to pull the nail out or drive it in. I had cut it off with a hacksaw, but it left a an ugly hole that I decided to fill. The plastic wood that I had was nearly dried out, but I used it anyway to see if it would work. It did. After sanding the patch with 80, 120, and finally 220 grit paper, it was ready for varnish the next time I had it out.

After practicing on the piano, I sharpened my new chainsaw. I had hit a nail using it for the first time in Seattle and it needed sharpening. Then I gassed and oiled the saw and used it to buck up some firewood. I was happy that the saw started right up.

After lunch and a nap, I measured the bedroom closet door opening. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon writing.

On Thursday after practicing the piano, I called Earl and invited him over for a visit. He was excited and after some discussion we decided that I would pick him up and we would visit his cabin. I had an early lunch and then went and picked up Earl. We drove to his log cabin hidden in the woods by the rock quarry.

After spending an hour or so in his cabin, we drove to camp serendipity where Earl inspected my new work. Then I took him home and had time for just a short nap.

On Friday morning, I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and worked on the bathtub preparing to install the cove base. I cut the vinyl cove base to length and took the remnant home with me to experiment with. I left for home at 12:45 happy with another week in the mountains.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.