Construction Journal Entry Week of 12/17/23

12/18-22/23 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

I started out by making a jam delivery to Paula and visiting her for a while. I arrived at Camp Serendipity at 1:10. There was no new snow, and the old snow was still frozen. I brought my gear up in two trips, hoisted the flag, had my lunch, unpacked my gear, and then took a nap.

On Tuesday when I got up the temperature outside was 26 degrees and there was light rain. I practiced the piano and then Robert called. We caught each other up on things. I listened to the radio for a while and then spent the rest of the morning reading.

After lunch and a nap, I built a fire and read some more.

On Wednesday I was up at 4:00. The temperature outside was 25 degrees. After practicing the piano, I went outside and spent 2 1/2 hours digging a hole in the trail where I had lost the tip of my trekking pole. It was hard work, and I finally gave up at 10:30 in the morning. The tip will have to wait until spring.

Next, I went into the crawl space and worked on reducing the dowel diameter. I made good progress and worked until lunchtime. After lunch and a nap, I went for a short walk for about 20 minutes. Then I lit a fire and spent the rest of the afternoon reading.

On Thursday after practicing the piano, I walked to Barb and Byron's place and knocked on their door. They invited me in, and to my surprise, they had a guest that I knew. Walt VanAtta, his son and grandson were there.

I sat down with them and joined them while they ate a big breakfast. I had worked with Walt for 25 years at the phone company and we had a great time reminiscing. I have seen him over the past years because he helped Byron and Barb build their house, but he had never come to see my cabin project. He wanted to do so and said he would be there today. When I left, I hurried home and began improving the snow trail to the cabin. It was actually quite dangerous, and I wanted it to be safe for the visitors. I cut steps into the snow and sprinkled wood ashes on the trail and made it safe.

Then I had my lunch and a short nap and did some reading. Walt called later and asked for a "rain check". He told me he had decided not to come visit today after all, so I went back to my reading. Then I filled 11 water jugs and staged them to bring them home.

On Friday morning I practiced the piano and then made four trips to the truck with water jugs in the Trapper Nelson backpack. I was happy I had improved the trail because it made it much easier and safer to haul the water. After lunch I packed up and left for home at 1:00. It was another fun week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2023 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.