Construction Journal Entry Week of 11/13/22

11/14-18/22 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

There had been some snow in the mountains, but the road was clear going over the pass. I arrived at 11:40. The snow had been unchanged from last week, so I turned the truck around and parked heading out at the foot of the stairs as usual. The stairs were clear, and I brought part of my gear up in one trip.

I hoisted the flag and then went back to the truck with my Trapper Nelson backpack. I used that to bring the rest of my gear up in one more trip. Then I unpacked, had my lunch, a nap and then practiced the piano.

On Tuesday it was 22 degrees and overcast when I got up. I practiced the piano and then since the air was completely still, I decided to burn the burn pile. I went to the truck and got the blower and took it and the torch to the burn pile. I shoveled most of the snow off the top of the pile and then lit it and tended it for the rest of the morning. It burned very well.

After lunch and a nap I went back out to check the pile and with a little poking the last of the word burned to ashes.

I had brought two more mosquito nets with me so I attached those to two places in the log wall to try to figure out how the flies are getting in. I used duct tape and masking tape to fasten the netting behind the Grid C3 RPSL and the Grid D3 PSL.

On Wednesday it was 20 degrees when I got up. I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and then went out and checked the fire. There were still some embers smoldering deep into the ash pile but I stirred it up so that it would completely burn. Then I used the blower to blow off the front porch. Dave had suggested that that was easier than sweeping but it didn't seem to work as well for me.

After lunch and a nap, I opened the back door intending to bring the blower back to the truck and I saw a coyote standing right by the privy looking at me. After a moment he turned and walked away. It was exciting to see the animal in broad daylight like that. After bringing the blower back to the truck I dusted the bedroom completely.

On Thursday it was 19 degrees outside and clear again. I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and installed a bunch of small trim pieces on the back of the cabinet. I took a picture of the result.

After lunch and a nap, I went down and dusted the cab of the truck. Then back in the cabin I spent some time with my map study project. Then I watched an old DVD John Lixvar had sent me documenting one of his outings.

On Friday morning when I got up the temperature was 11 degrees which is the coldest so far. There was just a little new snow but not much. After practicing the piano, I called Earl, and we had a nice chat. I left for home at 12:30 after another enjoyable week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2022 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.