Construction Journal Entry Week of 8/23/20

8/24-27/20 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 4 days: Monday through Thursday.

I arrived at noon. The weather was a pleasant 72 degrees. I brought my gear up to the cabin, hoisted the flag, had my usual lunch and nap, and then went up and irrigated Andrew.

Then I went down to the crawl space and rigged up come-alongs and chains in order to drag another big rock out of the crawl space.

Back up in the cabin, I spotted a small lizard on the floor. This one was about half the size of the two others that I had evicted and now I wondered if my theory of how the others got in was true. If so, this little guy found another way in. In any case, I have a new mystery to solve and I don't have any clues. Ellen suggested that maybe he darted in the door while I was going through it and he is so fast that I didn't see him. I hope that's the explanation and to fix it, I'll just have to be more watchful when I go through the door. Until I can think of something better, that's what I will try to do.

On Tuesday morning, Brian Kemly called and we talked about the wiring job he is going to do for us on Friday. We also had a nice conversation about other things.

After breakfast I went to work in the crawl space. My plan was to drag that big rock outside but I needed a place to put it. Looking around, I decided to try to roll the old stump from the double tree. I found that I could roll it pretty easily using a stout rope, so I rolled it down and pushed it over the cliff edge. That made quite a bit of room for the big rock.

Using the tackle I had rigged up the day before, I dragged the big rock out the door and onto the stoop before I quit for lunch and a nap. When I got up, I watered Andrew and then finished pulling the big rock almost over to the flagpole.

In the process, I lost a small part of my rigging (a chain hook with one chain link) that must have fallen into the dirt and then ended up under the rock. That was frustrating and disappointing because even though it is a small part, when I need it, there is no substitute. I will just have to buy another one.

On Wednesday, my body was sore from the heavy work the day before, so I took it easy. I made a small part out of copper that I need in order to install the light fixture for the loft stairs. Then I went down to the crawl space and bagged up some garbage. Then I had my lunch, my nap, and I watered Andrew.

On Thursday morning, Dave called, and we had another great conversation. After breakfast, I painted the copper lamp part I had made and then went out and watered Andrew. Then I bagged up some more garbage in the crawl space. I left for home at 1:00 after another fun week.

When I got home, I was pleased to receive a link from Steve White for the livestream interview he did with me on Sunday. He gave me permission to share it with anyone and to post it on my website. The link is .

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2020 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.