Construction Journal Entry Week of 8/7/22

8/8-12/22 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 5 days: Monday through Friday.

I arrived at 12:30 and it was hot. I carried my gear up to the cabin in one trip without encountering too many mosquitoes. I hoisted the flag, then had my lunch and played the piano for a while before I had my nap. When I got up, I had my dinner, and I was feeling pretty good.

On Tuesday morning I was awake at 4:00 o'clock and I got up at 5 feeling good. I finally felt normal and was eager to get something done. After practicing the piano, I went outside and whacked weeds draining both batteries. Then I listened to the radio before my lunch and a nap.

When I got up, I read for a while and then went out and whacked one more battery's worth of weeds.

On Wednesday morning I felt great and was awake at 4 again. I got up at 5:00 and did my exercises. Then I practiced the piano and went outside and whacked two battery's worth of weeds again. I listened to the radio until lunchtime.

After lunch and a nap, I made some progress on the solar array for my mirror tracker. I had wondered how to make the solar array weatherproof and I hit on a great solution. I used the lid of a salmon tray from the Costco deli. I made a sturdy wood substrate that fit snugly inside the tray, and which just held the 12 solar cells that make up the array. I glued down the 12 cells onto the substrate and started wiring it.

On Thursday morning I felt good again and was up at 6:00 o'clock. I called my cardiologist as I was supposed to do and after talking with the nurse, she told me she would call back. The call never came in, but I learned later that she used the wrong telephone number. She used my cell phone which doesn't have service instead of the landline at the cabin.

I practiced the piano and then listened to the radio some more and then worked on my tracker. After lunch and a nap, I did some more work on the tracker and made good progress.

Helicopters were flying up and down the valley all day so when I talked to Ellen in the evening, she did some research and learned there were three fires in the White River drainage area: one on Irving Peak and a couple more on Wenatchee Ridge. Robert called and confirmed the fire information.

On Friday morning I felt good. I practiced the piano and then called Earl to catch him up on my activities. Robert called and told me helicopters were still flying so the fires must still be burning. I listened to the radio for a while and then took a picture of my solar array. Then I went out and checked the trees and the salt and the mirror. I didn't use bug juice or a bug hat, so I got mosquito bit in the process. I left for home at 12:50 reasonably happy with the week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2022 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.