Construction Journal Entry Week of 8/13/23

8/14-17/23 I went up to Camp Serendipity for four days: Monday through Thursday.

I arrived at 11:40 and it was hot! I brought my gear up in two trips and then had my lunch and a nap. When I got up, I installed the first two boards in the pantry. They required chiseling wood away from the backside so that they could be maneuvered into place and not be stopped by bumps and irregularities in the fiberglass. I took a picture of them when I finished.

On Tuesday I could only get the temperature inside the cabin down to 70 degrees after leaving the windows open all night. That was not enough to keep the cabin cool all day, so it heated up.

I practiced the piano and then installed two more boards in the pantry. They also required some chiseling on the backsides. I took a picture of those two boards after they were installed.

After lunch and a nap, the temperature outside was 97 degrees. I tried going out for a walk, but 20 minutes was all I could take. I came back inside where it was relatively cool. Next, I filled all the water jugs but left them inside the cabin planning to carry them down to the truck in the cool of the morning. I spent the afternoon reading. The temperature outside reached 103 degrees and inside it was 85 degrees.

On Wednesday I loaded the water jugs into the truck first thing while it was cool. Then I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and then worked on the 5th and hardest board in the pantry. It was hard because it had to fit around the grab bar mount.

After lunch and a nap, I finished up that 5th board and then did some work on designing an air conditioning system for the cabin. It was mostly just a fun fantasy. The temperature inside the cabin reached 90 degrees so I got out the little homemade air conditioner that uses blue ice and a fan and that helped make it a little more comfortable when it was blowing right on me. It reached 103 degrees outside again.

On Thursday morning Dave called first thing and we had a great, long, interesting, conversation. Then I practiced the piano and did some reading before I left for home at 12:40. The week was cut short because Ellen and I planned to do some hiking on Friday. I noticed some smoke in the air as I left but I did not know where the fire was, or even if there was one. I hope this hot weather comes to an end soon.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2023 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.