Construction Journal Entry Week of 5/16/21

5/17-21/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

I arrived at 11:00 o'clock, brought my gear up in two trips, hoisted the flag, and had my lunch and a nap. When I got up, I installed baseboards in the bedroom behind the dresser on my side and I installed the baseboard in the utility room behind all the tools. It was pretty easy moving the dresser out of the way, but it was a chore moving all those tools. Then I went into the woods and checked on Paul and saw that the irrigation system is working properly.

On Tuesday I practiced the piano and then removed the bracing that was holding the baseboards in the bedroom and the utility room. Then I put all the stuff back.

I went outside and moved all the scaffold frames out of the way so I could begin setting up a tower below the windows. Then I set up the first tier by erecting 2 frames and two cross braces.

After lunch and a nap, I did some reading, and then went back outside and leveled the tower by putting shims under the feet.

On Wednesday I was practicing the piano when Robert called. He offered to come over and help me raise the scaffold tower and we agreed on 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon.

After finishing my piano practice, I went out and pulled planks out from where they were stored under the front porch and placed them on top of the tower. It looks like I'll have enough planks to do the job. Then I got the string trimmer out and whacked the weeds in front of the cabin, up past the mixer, and on the trail to the concrete steps. That drained both batteries. Then I got Cindy out and pruned Rosie and some other bushes that were overgrown. I wheeled the brush down in the wheelbarrow and piled it on the compost pile. Then I went in for a late lunch.

Robert came over but he was having pretty severe hip pain and I didn't want him doing much work. He pretty much watched while I set up the second tier of the scaffold tower. It rained off and on, but the tower is under the eaves, so we didn't get wet. He left after that and I took my nap.

On Thursday morning I woke up dizzy. This happened before and it is pretty aggravating. My blood pressure was elevated somewhat, my temperature was 98, and I was very unsteady on my feet.

Dave called and we had another delightful conversation. Then I practiced the piano which worked pretty well but I was feeling pretty crummy. I listened to the radio, read a little, and napped, before I had some lunch. Then I took the string trimmer and Cindy back down to the truck and lubed the latches on the tailgate which weren't working very well. Then it started to rain. I didn't get much done that day.

On Friday morning I felt better but not much. I practiced the piano and then Robert called again concerned about my dizziness. I spent the rest of the morning reading, writing, and listening to the radio.

I left for home at 12:10 disappointed in the way the week ended. I hope I'm completely better next week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.