Construction Journal Entry Week of 4/4/21

4/5-9/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for 5 days: Monday through Friday.

I arrived at 12:30, brought my gear up in two trips, hoisted the flag, and then had my lunch and a nap. When I got up, I went outside and checked on Paul the giant sequoia tree. The pile of snow I had provided last week to water the tree was completely gone. Then I went to check the small cedar tree and found that a branch had broken off under the snow. I removed the branch and trusted that the tree could do without it. Then I looked at the rest of the giant sequoia trees and saw that Earl, Dave, Dan, Bill, and Brian were all free of snow. I didn't get a good look at the others.

Back in the cabin I installed six casing headers and took a picture of five of them.

On Tuesday I called Earl the first thing in the morning to see if he wanted to make a trip to his cabin. He wasn't feeling up to it and asked me to call later. I called again at 8:00 o'clock and he still wasn't feeling up to it. We decided to put it off for another time.

I practiced the piano and then installed the last of the casings, which were inside the bedroom closet, and two baseboard pieces. Then I had my lunch.

Just as I finished, Byron stopped by for a visit and a look at what I had done lately. He didn't know I had earned my Certificate of Occupancy and he told me he still doesn't have his. I really didn't think I was going to beat him at that.

After looking at the hearth he asked if I had any of the marble left and I said I did. We went out and he looked at my supply. I told him he could take whatever he wanted, and he indicated he just might do that. Then I had my nap.

When I got up, I took the chainsaw up past the privy and cut some big maple snags that were just above Paul the sequoia tree. I bucked two wheelbarrows full of firewood from them and wheeled them down do the cabin where I stacked them. When I finished, John called again with an update on some covid information we had discussed before.

On Wednesday I practiced the piano and then installed the cove base below the bathtub. I took a picture when I finished. Then I had my lunch and a nap.

I spent the afternoon having fun with a project that I had been thinking about. I was wondering what I could do with all the remnants of the 1x4s I had used for casings and decided to make a wooden icosahedron. With only a Skilsaw, I cut the 20 parts and got a start on gluing them together.

On Thursday morning there was a skiff of snow on the ground, and it was snowing lightly. After practicing the piano, I finished gluing the icosahedron together. It was a laughable fit, but the idea was good, and I had fun making the crude artifact.

Next, I installed the baseboards in the front entry room and took a picture of them.

After lunch and a nap, I spent the afternoon writing.

On Friday I practiced the piano, installed one short piece of baseboard, and then vacuumed the entire loft, stairs, and 1st floor. I left for home at 12:45 after another fun week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.