Construction Journal Entry Week of 12/12/21

12/13-17/21 I went up to Camp Serendipity for five days: Monday through Friday.

I had a few delays on the way, including a blood test, a trip to the post office, and the delivery of a few jars of Ellen's jam to neighbors. I learned from one of the neighbors that there had been 18 inches of snow on Saturday, but my driveway had been plowed. I finally arrived at Camp Serendipity at 3:30 and parked at the hairpin turn. I snowshoed to the cabin twice to bring up my gear and to make a trail. I also snowshoed down to the flagpole to make a trail there.

Byron and Barb had said they would come to visit me in the evening, so I got a shovel and cleared off the rock steps by the flagpole and the entire concrete staircase. Then I turned on all the floodlights on the cabin so whichever way they decided to come up it would be lighted. By that time, it was time for dinner.

Byron and Barb did show up and came up the concrete staircase. We had a delightful visit and when Ellen made her usual call to me, I let her talk to Barb. They hadn't had dinner, so they left before 8:00 o'clock.

On Tuesday morning it was 24 degrees, clear, and still. I practiced the piano, listened to the radio, and then called Earl to catch up on things. After lunch and a nap, I spent the rest of the afternoon writing.

On Wednesday morning it was 20 degrees, still and clear. There was just a small skiff of new snow on the ground. I practiced the piano, did some writing, and had my lunch and a nap.

When I got up, I went outside and split and stacked a bunch of firewood. Then I came back in and did some more writing.

On Thursday morning it was 20 degrees again but snowing. Dave called early and we had a delightful, long conversation. After we hung up, I practiced the piano, and did some more writing.

After lunch and a nap, I went outside and added three new sheets of plywood on top of the OSB that I had put in place last week and took a picture of them. The one sheet had been very effective, but the berm had reached the top and was overflowing. The new sheets will fix that. I shoveled off the stoop where the snow had overflowed onto it, and I shoveled off the concrete staircase that had accumulated two or three more inches of snow. I decided to put off adding any additional sheets at the front staircase.

On Friday morning it was 24 degrees outside and clear. On a whim, I cleaned and organized most of the things on top of the drawing table in the utility room. Most of it went in the garbage, but all of the little odds and ends went into one of two nice wooden boxes that I had found.

When I finished that, I had my breakfast, practiced the piano, and did a little writing. I had an early lunch and left for home at 12:15 because I planned to stop at Marilyn's on the way home. It was another good week.

Go to Next Journal Entry
Previous Journal Entry

Index to all Journal Entries
Go To Home Page

©2021 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.