Log Home Pictures from 2018, Part 1 of 2

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .This is Page 2 of 2. Go to page 1 2 next prev

Other years: 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018


3/27/18 The flagpole pulley got jammed again and I set up the ladder, as I had before, in order to climb up and free the halyard. But I changed my mind and decided to take the pole down altogether and replace the pulley with one that wouldn't jam.


3/27/18 Here the pole had been taken down and you can see the two steel scaffold frames lashed together and braced with two 2x4s which holds the come-along used to pull the pole out of the ground. I successfully replaced the pulley and set the pole back into the ground using the same rigging.


5/2/18 Here is another view of the log deck waiting to be skidded down to the road. You can also see the remaining brush on the bluff that needs to be burned. There is a lot of good firewood in the brush that will be harvested.


5/2/18 This is the "bluff cut" where the trees have all been harvested and the logs are in the deck. This week, re-planting has started with the planting of 10 Western Redcedar seedlings in the bluff cut. Each one is marked with a numbered white yogurt container set on a pole. You can make out three of them in this picture if you look closely.


5/2/18 Here is a close-up of number 6 as an example of the seedlings and their markers.


5/2/18 Here is a view of the bluff cut from the other direction. You can make out five markers in this picture.


5/2/18 In this picture you can see four markers. In the foreground you can see the remnant of one of the burn piles. In the background you can see Dirtyface Ridge, the cabin, the log deck, and a nice standing grove of cedar trees that survived the root rot because they are immune. That is why we are re-planting with cedar trees.


5/3/18 Since the seedlings cannot tolerate much direct sun, I made shades out of pieces of blue tarp and set them up in front of the trees. You can see seven of them in this picture.


5/3/18 I was happy to see recent tenants in the 2x4 I set out last year for the mason bees. I felt bad about evicting the bees after they occupied the holes I made for balusters, so I drilled 28 holes in this piece of 2x4 specifically for their use. So far, five of them have accepted my offer. If they fill all the holes, I'll set up some more.


5/10/18 The mason bees were filling all the holes in my first bee block so I made a second one with 105 holes. The holes alternate between 5/16" and 3/8" to see which size they like better. The block also comes apart for cleaning.


5/10/18 Logging equipment staged for the next phase of the logging operation. You can see the log loader and a dump truck behind it. The jammer will be assembled on site because it is too big and heavy to bring in all at once. Here you can see the double winch assembly, and to the right of that, the motor that will drive the winches. In the extreme lower right, you can see part of the white gravel that was spread on the muddy driveway entrance which is a great improvement.


6/27/18 Robert making a spar tree by removing all lower branches from a big fir.


6/27/18 The engine is mounted on the jammer and Robert is getting it ready to start. You can barely see the spar tree and the log deck in this picture, but you can see the concrete staircase going up the hill.


6/27/18 Here Robert is making final preparations to the engine. You can clearly see the spar tree (directly above Robert's left glove) and the log deck on the bluff at the top center of the picture.


6/27/18 Here the drive chain has been installed so the engine can now turn the drums. The chain is kinked because of dis-use, but it is limbering up by being driven around the sprockets.


7/6/18 Robert operating his jammer by controlling the two big drums. The main drum pulls on a cable that runs through a pulley high in the spar tree and then on up to the bluff where it is fastened to a log, or several. The other one is the haulback drum which is attached to the other end of the long cable after it comes back to the jammer. Robert can control each drum independently, making it go forward, backward, drag, or stop in order to control the movement of logs. He is dragging logs from the pile up on the bluff, pulling them over the cliff, and then skidding close to the log deck where he can reach them with his loader.


7/6/18 Here is a bundle of logs just coming over the edge of the cliff in a cloud of dust.


7/6/18 Here Robert is operating his loader. He is picking up logs that have been skidded down and then stacking them in the log deck so that they are ready to be picked up by a log truck and hauled to market.


7/7/18 Since I was recovering from a cold and didn't feel like doing any hard work, I took the opportunity to fix an axe handle that I broke. I glued the two pieces together and then bound the joint with yellow mason's line. The string was always under tension while I wound it around the handle so that the cumulative effect is to provide enormous pressure to the glue joint which will make it as strong as the original wood after it cures.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .This is Page 2 of 2. Go to page 1 2 next prev


Pictures from other years: 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

Go To Home Page

©2018 Paul R. Martin, All rights reserved.